Monday, January 19, 2015

Perhaps this is late...?

This is an image I did in collaboration with my colleague where I teach. She did the calligraphy and background and I did the image of the Virgin and Child. I really, really like this painting. However, collaborations are hard for me because it is difficult for me to cede control over an image to someone else's creative process. I have absolutely no issue with allowing randomness into my image-making (as a printmaker, it makes life much less stressful). But to allow someone else to say what they think is best in what I think of as my artwork? That is hard on my pride.


It's not just collaborations that I have trouble with. It's illustrations for publication. It seems that I will absolutely nail a drawing or a painting, send it off and then... see how it gets cropped and flooded with someone else's text. It absolutely drives me up the wall.  Of course, that's assuming the image is accepted as-is. A lot of times I get it back with "corrections". Rrrr. 

But perhaps all of this is a part of killing my pride and works in moving along my creeping sanctification. Or maybe everyone else is just wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment