Monday, July 2, 2012

It seems as if the 2-page spread is sort of a theme these days, so I'll continue. As in the previous two posts, the man on the left is real. I spied him on the sly while he was, indeed, listening to the homily.


The robot woman, however, is my invention completely. I really like robot drawings that are done well; I suppose I'd like to do one myself someday. She will never be a real woman. I love good S/F stories. The best of them almost always ask what it is to be human from Blade Runner, AI, I Robot, Star Trek (take your pick),  and a million others. Normally this is done by making a robot so human as to be indistinguishable from real humans except for the physical material they are made of. And the actual humans that are contrasted with the robots are typically less than human in some way. We are made to believe that it's what's on the inside that makes us human, not what we are made of. But I think that the non-gnostic position is that it's what's on the inside and what we are made of that makes us human. We are composite beings - flesh and spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment