Saturday, July 7, 2012


Here it is; my magnum opus of construction paper. With the exception of the "comics code authority" stamp and the four heads in the Marvel Comics header, everything here is cut paper. I only gave in on those two things because I simply don't have the tools or ability to cut that small. (The colors in this reproduction are a little off; the colors are closer to the original below.)

I have now spent more time on this than Jack Kirby spent drawing this thing in the first place! It became sort of an obsession for me as the layers of complexity opened themselves up to my intense gaze. My wife for one is glad that I can stop spending time on my "craft project" and get back to paying work, or at least good watercolors.

In doing this, I came to appreciate the design inherent in the comic book cover and just how the limited colors are used to grab the viewer and how they are subtilely repeated throughout the composition to give rhythm and visual flow.


These are some shots of the piece in progress (and I think the color is a little better).

No comments:

Post a Comment