Tuesday, July 3, 2012

After taking my kids to the comic shop and being bitterly disappointed by the lack of desirable comics for us to buy, I decided to break out my stash and do a project with said kids. We looked through a ton of old Legends of the Dark Knight (which, I must confess, I love). We chose two covers that both my daughter and I liked and thought would make good paper cuts. I chose LotDK #29, part 2 of Faces by Matt Wagner. I've always really liked the covers in this series.


My 10 year old daughter chose LotDK #11, part 1 of Prey by Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy. She felt that a strict adherence to the black and red color scheme of the original was unnecessary.


Being a printmaker by training and inclination, I think of things in terms of color blocks and how I can produce an image in a woodcut or linocut.  The planning for making paper cuts is almost identical to that of making a multi-block relief print. I plan on doing some projects based on this in my art classes next year. I thought about giving the students comic covers in black and white and having them come up with a color scheme of their own. But I'm not sure now. I have begun a reproduction of a Fantastic Four cover that has proven far cooler but far more difficult than I thought it would be. I'll have to strike a happy balance for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment