Monday, February 9, 2015

Romans Drawing

This is the second part of where I talk about my thesis drawing from college. If you will recall, it was an allegory of the the New Testament book of Romans. I'll be brief here because many books have been written about Romans and I don't want to add another one. Besides, drawings are not books!

I spent about two months on this piece working about 40 hours a week. (As a lengthy aside, when will I ever have time like that again? Probably never. I was told in high school that it doesn't get any easier than this. I thought the people saying that were nuts; then I got to college and realized they were right. But then I was told by my professors that I would never have the kind of time I had at that point to work on my artwork. I thought they were nuts. Then I had children... I've never had it as easy as I did in college! College is a weird place that tempts one to become very, very selfish. Nowhere on earth is a person so encouraged to follow his own, stupid little whims as he is in college. It's like a seedbed of narcissistic solipsists. I'll stop here since I seem to be veering down some strange road that will dead end in a rant.)

As I was saying, I spent about 40 hours a week for two months on this drawing. The medium is charcoal with ink on a roll of Rives BFK paper. I used myself as a model, my wife, various students, folks from my imagination, characters from art history.

The portion of Romans covered in these sections of the drawing is chapters 1-4. St. Paul talks a lot about universal condemnation, grace, and a covenant through Abraham.

Look for Tio Paquete as I lifted him straight from Goya. Also, there is more robbery of Goya here!

This is a anthropomorphized lamb, am I right?
The action moves along from Adam and Eve way in the background and snakes its way up to the foreground through Moses and along to Abraham as he has a vision of his offspring. The falling fireballs are a convention that I took from Albrecht Durer and his Apocalypse woodcuts. I won't say much more than that. Read it here. Or read it at your house, you have a bible at home, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment