Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Revelation 12


I like to make artistic resurrections. I rarely throw anything away - even the complete junk. Because, hey, you never know. Sometimes painting over that failed piece, or turning it upside down and scrawling all over it is just the thing.
Some time ago I assigned master copy linocuts to my high school art class. The venerable Albrecht Durer's Madonna and Child on a Crescent Moon was among my students' choices.



Very good you say; but Durer was very good and even diligent students find him difficult. If diligent students find him difficult, those who are less-than-diligent find him nearly impossible:


There was a lot about this that I really, really didn't like. But there was something that I hoped I could work with. The student was beyond done with this print and didn't care about the image at all. So I decided to take the best impression he had and see what I could do with it. Here is what I came up with:


I am very happy with this piece. Since I never screw up on any of my own work (ahem), I hope to have more lackluster student pieces in the future that I can work with!




No comments:

Post a Comment